Thursday 21 April 2011

Bank holiday Friday. Technically I should be in work in 30 mins but I have been asked to work a late tomorrow to help with the anticipated large numbers of patients.

It's been a really productive week. I have been working with some great people and realised that more often than not the way your day goes is closely linked to who you have worked with. That said, I did have a bit of a dissapointing day last week. I was working with someone I had not worked with much before and asked them to review one of my patients with an injured foot. Fortunately I did nothing that was dangerous or was likely to affect patient outcome but I didn't really present my case as well as would have liked and felt like a bit of an idiot. He assured me it was no big deal but I am aware of the importance of reputation and credibility and feel I have a bit of a way to go to make it up. Annoying having worked so hard to create a good impression.

Rest of the week was really good. I have had much more of a free reign and people have been putting their trust in me to select my own patients from minors, majors and resus, assessing, managing and treating their conditions. I have selected trauma cases, SOBs, chest pains etc but am still erring slightly away from the elderly complex medical patients. I am happy with initiating emergency treatment but complex pathologies and co-morbidities mean that a more medical view point is required. Whilst I am keen to push my self and step outside my comfort zone (where real learning takes place) I think it is important not to step too deep onto the turf of the more medically minded doctors, especially when I am trying to gain their confidence and carve out a role that others can follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment